Friday, November 28, 2008

To the extent that it's absurd

I was doing this:

But soon I will be doing THIS!

and it will be AMAZING because I feel like I've only slept for a total of five seconds this whole week!

Change of subject: BEST PUMPKIN PIE EVER. Made by Lara.

Every time I write "pumpkin" I type "pumpking." What's that?? A verb? I am pumpking? What does it mean, to pumpk? Or maybe it's vegetable royalty. Long Live the Pump King! King of Pumps!

Less than a month until Christmas, and I'm waking up in the morning with "All I Want For Christmas is You" stuck in my head. Looking for any reason to be festive. Like making Christmas stir fry!!

Also, I think it should be IMMEDIATELY NOTED (in red ink, with plenty of exclamation marks) that tonight, thanks to Claire, I ATE SNAILS. Um, I mean .... ESCARGOTS. I tried to feel all French and sophisticated and not at all nauseous, but there were two problems: (1) we ate them while standing around the Faidherbe kitchen, which lacks something in both Frenchness and sophistication, but is more than abundant in nausea... and (2) all I could think about the whole time was the slime trail left behind a traveling snail.

But I ate THREE of them and didn't die, so I guess they aren't so bad. In fact... they might have even been a little bit good.

The snails, tactfully hidden beneath a layer of pesto and inside a pillow of pastry (which I think says something about how weird it is to eat a snail):

Eating snails for the first time in my life:

Hmmmm... not dead yet....

Lara is also still alive! That's all the proof I need. Snails are safe.

Verdict: I could hold my own at a Parisian wine & hors d'oeuvres, but I'd take a giant, greasy plate of poutine over a snail if given the choice. Canadian to the very end!

Jen + Poutine = why can't I have poutine in front of me this very second? And while I'm at it, why can't Jen be here, too?

If you want to read more about snails (who wouldn't?), I highly recommend Sharon's post about her husband, Rafa, and his unorthodox culinary tastes! And while you're there, you might as well read about his unorthodox (and thusly hilarious) storytelling techniques, all in one convenient post.

As a final note for the night: I MISS MY CAT. Sometimes, when I look at pictures of him (which is kind of often), it physically hurts.



Ouch!

Change is hard.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meow...Hi there, nice human who went away. I miss you too. It's okay here, where you left me, but this human won't let me lie on her keyboard when she's playing that clicking game with her fingers. I often think of our little pied à terre in Montréal and sigh.

Those snails sound like my kind of food! We'll have so much more in common when you get back.

Well, gotta go! You never know when human-with-attitude is going to come back and catch me at her keyboard!

Savin' it all for you baby!

the big T.

p.s. could you hold back on posting those pics of me sleeping?

Anonymous said...

i dONt KnoW wHO tHatT PuRSon wAS BuT IT wASn' me BeCAuSe I hAVe Pawws And I canTTYpe vEry WEll. ThIS is ME. i misS yOU.CoME BaCK sooN. LovE TYchO

Anonymous said...

puurrrr no Iz da reel tycho, but iz tru i doo miz u much, n iz miz dat pooteen grl to. purrr come hom soon k?

megan said...

Oh dear, Tycho... you are showing signs of separation anxiety and I can only fear the worst. Are you okay? Do you hear voices? Are you getting enough kibbles? And warm places to sleep? And fresh litter? And chin rubs? I can't tell which one of these comments is genuinely from you, but I suspect the second. Grammar was never really your forté, was it? That's okay, life is hard without thumbs. (Although I do remember that day in Montreal when I woke up to find a perfectly spelled, signed and sealed letter from you explaining why you required a softer blanket for your window perch, but I always thought you got the dog across the alley to write it for you.)

Keep your chin up, little buddy. It's easier to rub that way. And I know it's hard for us to be apart, but it won't be forever!

(By the way, have you been thinking about what I said before I left, about maybe getting you a little brother? Who is a dog? We'll talk about that more at Christmas.)

Anonymous said...

Megan, I'm putting in a request for a blog entry about your teaching experience -- describe your students, what you're teaching them and what they think about their Canadian teacher. Why are you teaching anyway -- I thought you said you hated teaching!?

Hope you're having a blast,

Andrew B

Phronk said...

Oh my gosh, I always type pumpking too. I thought I was the only one, but now I don't feel so alone.