Friday, October 3, 2008

And So Begins My Odyssey

Jardin Vaubin (I think), near the Citadel in Lille

I've been in France for a week now, which is kind of mind-bending to me.  If I squint backwards and lean over the right way, I can just barely make out that day one week ago when I was jiggling my knees on Bronwyn's porch, waiting for the airport taxi to arrive and take me to Toronto.  So much happened between then and now that steam comes out of my ears just thinking about it.  The airport taxi itself finally did arrive, and I got inside it, and I let the adventure begin.  It was a bit of an anti-climatic beginning; I mean, I remember Mom saying recently that when you have a baby and you're spending those first few blurry hours in the hospital with this new little stack of wiggles, you just can't believe that the whole world doesn't stop to marvel at your great feat of pushing a new human into their midst (is that true, sharon?).  Anyway, starting the adventure felt kind of like that.  I have been thinking France, dreaming France, tasting France for so long that when I actually got in the taxi and starting on my way to France, I couldn't believe there weren't more whistles and t-shirts.  There was a woman on her way home to Winnipeg after training as a kitchen cabinet maker in Waterloo, and there was a battered-looking driver shaking crumbs of dill pickle chips into his mouth, but there was no fanfare.  He dropped me off at my terminal, bid me good luck with a flap of his tie, and that's how the adventure started: my giant duffel bag, my e-ticket, and the faint scent of dill.

I wrote the first few blog posts in the dark ages of last week before I had internet set up France, so I'll avoid too much throat-clearing and just get on with posting them here.  I'm so glad I have the internets!  France is incredible and absorbing and invigorating, but it's also kind of far away, and without my blog or my email inbox I felt that distance acutely.  I miss everyone!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Fantastic blog! Love the stories. Very descriptive. Almost makes me feel like I'm right there w/ you. Weird seeing pics. of the Lycee. Almost haunting. Can't wait to enjoy your Lille adventures vicariously w/ you - for a second time.

Sharon said...

Uh - yes very true. And the worst is you're surrounded by people for whom births are a dime a dozen, a fact of every day work life - so it's okay this one's done - on to the next. I actually asked my OB when he came into my room, "that baby that was just crying, like 5 minutes ago - did you deliver it?" His response was, yes, I did. Of course I was interested, "Aren't you on a high or anything - dude you just brought a human being into the world!" I don't remember anything after that - but yes there is a distinctly anti-climactic sense about you when you're waiting for jaws to be dropping and people to be awe-struck. HOWEVER -- if you've ever noticed someone (sane) walking down the street, or through the halls, or stopped in their car in the lane next to you, and they have this look, this very proud, or contented look on their face - it's probably because they are indeed marvelling at the amazingness of someone they cannot see in that moment. I have no doubt that my friends & family were walking around very excitedly on September 5, awe-struck and marvelling... as are we for you now - our adventurous Meg conquering France :)

megan said...

Deb - you helped bring me here! i owe you, man!!!


Sharon - oh wow, you say it all so perfectly. Wyatt's arrival in the world on Sep. 5th was astounding on all fronts. I was still in Waterloo then and Jen told me that Paula would let us know when you were giving birth, because I knew about (and completely sympathized with) your desire to be alone with Rafa when Wyatt arrived - but when I got Paula's email I had tears in my eyes. Can't imagine how it must have been for you. have you heard this week's CBC podcast about deliveries? if not I'll send it to you. As if you need one more reason not to sleep....

Can't wait to see you and your growing family again! And I especially can't wait to see Talon and interrogate him on his philosophical views on the meaning of "tomorrow." I think he could teach me something. And Rafa and I have a shot or two to catch up on, re Tequila. Hopefully there's a bar at J&M's wedding! It will be so great to see you, and W & T & R... omg it just struck me how much of a man's family you live in. you are amazing.