Saturday, November 29, 2008

Some things you do for money, and some you do for love (also to win points with your girlfriend's family)

Okay, so imagine your name is Lara, and you are supremely courageous because EVEN THOUGH you were living the good life in the US of A, you decided to come to France for a year to teach high school kids how to say "Obama is king" with a perfect accent. Coming to France meant saying goodbye to your long-time beau, Lucas, and EVEN THOUGH you and Lucas decided you'd get married once you're back from your temporary insanity, you find it pretty hard to endure the separation. France can be a lonely place sometimes (except for your super-awesome friend Megan!!).

but THEN!

on a dreary WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON!

there is a KNOCK on your DOOR!!! Who could it be?!

IT'S LUCAS!!!

Oh my goodness, I was SOOO glad he finally arrived, because that meant I could stop jabbing myself with a pen to make sure I didn't give away the surprise every time Lara was around. I think they had a good time together, and I EVEN think that she has fogiven me for lying to her about twenty million times in order to keep her unoccupied and in Lille for the week of his arrival. And he turned out to be super-cool, too. Not that I ever doubted he would be. We ate lots of pizza and drank lots of beer, which is my official bonding ritual with new people. In fact, the first time I ever hung out with Lara, we ate lots of pizza and drank lots of beer. Points for consistency!

Meanwhile, as the Ls were enjoying their brief respite from missing each other, I went to the Emergency Room.


But don't worry, it wasn't for an emergency! I was just having my brain examined by aliens. Aliens, and Felipe.

He's doing doctoral research and needs some subjects, which means putting your head in this thing:

and clicking a lot of buttons. It's definitely an easier way to make money than teaching!! Plus, we had a picnic, and I got to take a lot of pictures of everything, until Felipe confiscated my camera.

(Re. comments on the last post: Andrew, you ask some interesting Qs, and I will respond sometime soon!)

10 comments:

Jen said...

Awww yay! I remember you telling me about that way back when! I was just wondering if it had happened. What an awesome surprise for her!!


What was Philipe's experiment?

megan said...

Hmmmmm, good question... it's something to do with eyes, so the two of you should have a conversation about it sometime, since you both dig eyes!

I had to look at a giant panoramic screen, and two pictures would flash, one directly in the centre and one off in the periphery somewhere, and I would have a millisecond to decide which one was more in focus, or which one had more stripes, or something along those lines. It was totally boring but luckily I got to take a break every fourteen minutes to have a dance party in the lab!!

Colin Martin said...

so...is it a freaky brain?

megan said...

VERY.

Anonymous said...

First, Meg I thought you made the experiment for friendship not for the money... Anyway the money is not too much so I still think you made it more for friendship than for the money.

Two... yes, the experiments are really boring, but they are the only way to my PhD.

Three... I have the results here and yours is the FREAKIEST brain I ever seen (and I ve seen a lot). I'm just waiting to puting it into the MRI machine to share your freaky brain with all the hospital as the most bizarre clinical case.

megan said...

yikes, freakiest brain ever?? I hope when you examine it in the MRI machine, it shows pictures of cats and famous writers...

Anonymous said...

or maybe some hidden naughty fantasies you have... OH I will know all about you...

megan said...

Uh-uh! That part of my brain is password protected!

(ps: be careful! my mom and possibly also grandma read this blog...)

Anonymous said...

Big T here.

You don't need to worry about ma - she's pretty oblivious to most things I find. e.g. lovely red chair in her room. She used to hiss at me when I scratched on it. I just changed to scratching at the back of it and she hasn't noticed a thing.
As for grand-ma - I'm not too familiar with her but have heard she's pretty sharp, so maybe watch it. I know I stayed there once and she seemed to have my number all right...called me 'cat'!

You're brain is safe with me! Do whatever with the brain you took to France.
Miss ya, megsaloveyou - T.

p.s. Hissy fit on those who doubt my typing skills - imposters! FYI, I grew up with books, know a thing about travel around different dimension of time and becoming a different person and have hung out with the best - ah, my friend Mottly.

megan said...

T-dot! Thanks lil dude, I know you've got my back. I set a picture of you as my desktop background today. It's the one of you lying on your back under my desk chair in Montreal with all your paws in the air, the day after we got back from last year's Christmas trip. Remember? You kept complaining about the time change, and I kept explaining that there IS no time change between Toronto and Montreal, but you would just blink once in acknowledgment of my naivety and go back to sleep.

I'm glad you're settling in but remember that not everyone appreciates your uncanny ability to shred every piece of fabric that is within eight inches of the floor. Try to keep those claws sheathed as much as possible, okay buddy? Less is more.

Miss having you tap me on the face every morning. I haven't seen 5am since I came here. Maybe best not to try that with Ma, though.

Love you, little mister. Pink toes!!!